Las Vegas, Nevada
Expert knowledge and experience regarding journalism and media studies. Academic specialities include historical research, visual framing theory and content analysis methods. Practical journalistic experience includes 4.5 years as a photojournalist focused on renewable energy, advanced combustion, and growing an enthusiast community in the transportation field. During this time I authored about 350 articles, 400 blog posts, and many forum, Email, and social media messages for Diesel Power magazine (circulation 134,424 Source Interlink Media). Currently I'm involved with media and coordinating aspects of the Skybot Challenge. I also helped co-create two small family businesses called Garden of Ikeda and Niflheim Media.
Helped with media and technical aspects of UNLV’s High-Energy X-Ray Applications (HEXA) program as student assistant for Dr. Oliver Hemmers, Director of the Harry Reid Center for Environmental Studies (from 2014- 2015).
Gained experience in global communications, culture, and history while studying in Mongolia, Mexico, China, North and South Korea, Bangladesh, Canada, and Nepal.
Master of Arts, Journalism and Media Studies 2015
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Thesis: The Visual Framing of Climate Control in The New York Times 1851-Present
Method: SPSS data analysis and content analysis
Soonchunhyang University, Asan, South Korea 2006
Completion of Cultural Ambassadorship
Winona State University, Winona , Minnesota 2005
Bachelor of Arts -- Law and Society
Feature Editor 2008-2012
Source Interlink Media
• I was a Feature Editor for Source Interlink Media. In 2012 Diesel Power was the #2 selling magazine for SIM (with more than 70 other titles). It was also the #1 selling automotive magazine at Walmart.
• Assisted the Editor with strategic editorial planning, which involved the generation of story ideas. Interacted with the art director and managing editor in planning the photography and layout of assigned articles.
• Researched the subject matter for assigned print articles and blogs. This involved planning for comparison tests, which included the selection of the products and the designing of the test regimes and scheduling. Photographed and wrote technical and feature articles, department sections, and columns based upon the research gathered and tests performed. All with accuracy and adhered to established deadlines.
• Responded to reader inquiries via telephone, written communications and letters columns. Wrote and read more than 25,000 emails. Generated social media traffic.
• 3 photos published as covers for Diesel Power magazine
ABC School in Dhaka, Bangladesh
UNLV Accelerated: High-Energy X-Ray Applications (HEXA) (pdf found online)
Association For Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) 2015
National Biodiesel Board --Next Generation Scientists for Biodiesel 2013